Ethics of Fishing

Animals!
New forum link: https://forum.biologyonline.com/index/z ... discussion

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

The new Biology Online has arrived!

We are very pleased to announce the website's new design and features. As a biology website pioneer in 2001, it has grown to become the world's most comprehensive online database for biology terms and topics. Thus, we would like to invite you to take part in this significant milestone by checking out these latest features from Biology Online.

Biology Dictionary

The largest online biology dictionary with over 70,000 biology terms! Learn various topics, concepts, and principles in biology. Start by searching here.

Biology Articles

Get the latest biology news, insights, trends and discoveries in biology and other related research fields. We have over 5,000 articles you can choose from.

Biology Tutorials

From the basics to the more advanced lessons, our tutorials will help you learn various topics in biology. Browse from over 100 free biology lessons here.

New Biology Forum

We hold one of the largest discussion boards in biology online! Join our community by signing up here or log in here if you already registered with us before.

Thank you and we hope you will join us as the site continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Sincerely,
Biology Online Team

Are fishermen bad people?

Yea, George Bush should fire up O'le Sparky
36%
Nope, fish don't have feelings
57%
It's against my religion to answer this question.
7%

Total votes: 14

Canaduck_89
Garter
Garter

Post by Canaduck_89 » Tue May 10, 2005 12:17 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I like to fish. I don't consider it a crime. I fish for eating. People who fish for sport do hurt the fish, even when the let them back, but i don't think it would have any mental effect on the fish would it ( Not saying it still isn't a bad thing to do)? I mean don't fish have a memory of about ten seconds? I could be wrong, if anyone would correct me i would be glad.
A conclusion is only where we refuse to continue thinking.

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:57 am

While I am not going to argue the ethics of fishing, as it is a biologists duty to remain neutral on such matters, I will input here that while a fish's nervous system does have mechanoreceptors, and can feel the pressure of a hook in its mouth, it does NOT have nocireceptors, and therefore cannot feel pain.